It is perhaps, quite ironic, that I have less access to internet here in Sydney than I did in India. The main problem is that I that the internet cafes here are not particularly private and I don't really like writing about my private thoughts in a public place (which again, seems quite ironic as I am quite happy to advertise them to the world in this blog).
Another problem is that, of course, the subject material is a little less palatable or stimulating, and I have some serious issues with talking about the people here as of course, they are my friends, and although you don't know who they are, they obviously do. For this reason I think I will have to edit my previous blog entry; it doesn't seem very fair on my friends and I wouldn't want them to do the same about me...but this does leave me with a conundrum. What can I talk about? I can rage at the state for a while but this is ultimately a futile enterprise that will wear itself out soon enough.
I still have some leech teeth in my foot. It's not a particularly pleasant reminder but it is a connection to Thailand which is better than nothing. My tan lines are fading fast (as are my sun-induced wrinkles, thankfully!). I have been sick for the past two weeks so I haven't been able to exercise much and I feel very unfit. I am still enjoying the work but look forward to the feeling of freedom that Friday night brings, which indicates that I must feel somewhat tied down and trapped by the schedule (although admittedly it's much more flexible than most jobs). I am looking forward to New Zealand and South America, only wish that I had more time in each of the countries. I think I have stopped learning here. I have realised that it is quite easy to make money. I have realised I drink far too much when given the opportunity. I have realised that true friendships take years and years to acquire. And I realise that I need to generate passive income to support myself in the manner I wish, which is probably the essential thing I needed to realise on this trip. Maybe I should use my savings from here to change my last two flights to give me more time (and freedom). November is silly time to go home. I should go home for Christmas (except I also had a plan to be in Nepal for Christmas although I don't think I have the money for that now :( - but then, if I work here for another six weks perhaps I shall have the money to do that).
John has had a promotion at work. He is doing very well. I am doing well enough to get by, even though I believe I am probably a bit more passionate about the work than he is. It is frustrating to see yourself effortlessly outdone time and time again, but that is nothing new and one should always surround oneself with people who are more intelligent than oneself. I thought I was jealous, but I see now that the more senior the person is the more enslaved they become in to the inside of the machine. I was always too much of a commitment-phobe for the responsibilities of these things; perhaps it is a blessing in disguise. It was quite funny really; he didn't really want the promotion but he didn't really have a choice. Hopefully I will be more lucky.
I have also moved into a flat now, which is nice but decidedly dull. There is a lovely Asian girl here who speaks excellent English but is still finding it very hard to find a job...a bit of a reminder that I should try to be grateful that I have found employment and can support myself financially. I often forget how privileged I am to be a white girl from Great Britain. As much as it has it's flaws, you could hardly be safer, financially or by education and reputation - unless I was a man of course.
I did a brief stint to Hunter Valley last weekend for some wine tasting, it was all very civilized and I have now discovered Verdelho, which is quite pleasant. But yes, beyond that, I'm afraid I am quietly stagnating, which unfortunately does not make for very stimulating blog entries. But at least I am writing it down; half the realisation is in the explanation.
Saturday, July 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment