Our hotel is possibly the most impossible hotel in existence...stinks of cigarettes and you know what else, our room is the tiniest we have seen. We are staying for 3 days (they know that) and had paid for the first day...at 1am a staff member knocked on our door and tried to make us pay for the other 2 days. Yet, bizarrely, we have what is quite possibly the nicest bathroom I've seen in a long time...the shower is -perfect-...it's like a thousand tiny masseuses pummeling your skin with expert precision. I think can explain this contadiction to you now...the owner is Indian.
We came to Malaysia on a night boat then a bus. The night boat runs from 10pm to 6am. It has two tiers, each around 4 foot high, with flat foam matresses lining the floor (eighty beds on each level). You semi-scramble along, berating the intelligence of whoever decided to put two different numbers on the tickets (which could both plausibly be a bed number). Then you settle down next to complete strangers and sleep. I can't say I had an incredibly night but it was quite relaxing to lie on the rolling waves listening to the rumble of thunder in the distance.
In the final days of my Thailand adventure, I wanted to finally get round to several things I hadn't had opportunity to do. After the unfortunate leech incident, I have now finally managed to go swimming in a waterfall. I enjoyed it but it was bloody cold. Also, too many Thai men around (including one who decided to go skinny dipping despite already wearing a pair of speedos). I'll have to go looking for a less well known waterfall next time...although I'm getting the feeling there aren't any left. I think Thailand has had it for travellers. It's for tourists now.
I have also been snorkelling - spent four hours in absolute awe, mesmerised by shoals of fish, and stalking the colourful loners...although how stealthy one can be whilst wearing bright blue fins I'm not really sure. Anyway, it was soon the turn of the fish to get their own back. A particularly large and colourful shoal kept swimming around nearby, gradually getting closer and closer. Nice stripey ones. I swam over to meet them. Hi, nice stripey fish. They took to swimming around me, letting me follow them, then turning round and swimming straight at me, eyeing me up with beady, somewhat intelligent looking eyes. This continued for maybe ten minutes or so? (It's hard to tell, time passes weirdly down there). Then, I felt a pinch on my leg. Then a pinch on my arm. A little confused, I brushed whatever the pinching thing was off me, thinking it was some of the debris floating on the surface of the water, a twig or something. Then, a beady eye swims up to me...and promptly jabs at my finger! I was being nibbled on by fish! Reluctant to become their next meal, I swam away pretty sharpish. Sneaky beggars.
Also managed to get to the legendary Full Moon Party, which was pretty amazing. Lots of fire dancing (including a giant skipping rope of fire). Buckets of alcohol for 3 pounds (with 8 shots of Smirnoff in each) - so you're suitably slaughtered after spending less than a tenner. Lots of music, dancing...a pool party also...music, dancing...with a pool of course....I recall neon paint. Also, a burger and Family Guy. But of course, most of the night is blissfully hazy...I'm sure we all had a jolly good time.
1 comment:
Malaysia! See how long it takes before you start ending every sentence with "la".
It won't be long, la.
Post a Comment