The beaches in Thailand are just phenomenal - picture perfect. And the ocean is warm! Finally, after 5 months of tropical climes, I can actually swim in the sea. You have to be careful though. Apparently when the water is too calm the sea lice come out and nibble on you. Not pleasant I imagine. I've been keeping a wary eye out for anything tropical looking but all I've seen so far are lots of sand-coloured crabs. They are very cute. They all hang out together in big clumps on the beach and when you go too close they panic and rush into their respective living holes. I love the way they move - it's just like I walked into Finding Nemo.
We are living in huts right next to the beach - 5 meters from the tide line - it's really cool (and they are verrry cheap, about two pounds fifty a night). You can hear waves rolling onto the shore as you sleep. You're really out in the jungle here, you can hear all the birds and reptiles singing at each other all night.
I found out that I have a lot in common with frogs. For example; I like open air showers (a bathroom with no roof and flimsy bamboo walls - doesn't work too well when it's raining). Turns out that frogs like to hang out in open air showers. We have a mutual interest. Very good. Another example; I do not like stepping on frogs. Turns out they don't like it either! What a coincidence.
Coming up next: Songkran festival, Bangkok riots, sea kayaking and night time jungle wanderings...
2 comments:
Sea lice?! Never heard of them but i'm imagining them to be swimming wood lice!
I don't like stepping on frogs either.
I'll let you know what they look like once I've seen them...saw some weird sea worms today, but I don't think that's quite the same thing...either way...eeewwww.
Post a Comment