Well, I just started writing my post, and lost it (owing to the generator failing here). Never mind. Here we go again...
Erm, I will write about the trek when I a) have my diary and b) have cheap and decent internet supply. Have only had one seriously successful internet session here and that internet cafe is unfortunately in Pokhara (and I am now in Kathmandu).
The orphanage experience has been phenomenal. The kids are brilliant and I really feel as though I have been part of the family there. Leaving was very, very difficult... - picture Louise playing Snap with a 4 year old, tears rolling down her cheeks and a huge smile on her face. I can't really condense 6 weeks of awesomeness into one blog entry. And maybe, maybe, it's a little too painful to do it right now.
As such I will recount dribs and drabs that I can dredge from my brain at this moment in time and try to do something more cohesive in the not too distant future...
Wi nøt trei a høliday in Nepal this yër?
See zee løveli lakes
We swam in Begnas Tal about three weeks ago. I managed to pull this off with a high degree of dignity, as communicated with breathy shrieks of 'It's CAWLD!', 'Swim-swim-swim-don't-touch-the-floor-swim!!' and 'Er-what-the-hell-was-that slithering past my foot/ splashing in the distance/trying to crawl up my left nostril?'
But no, really, they are lovely. I'm just an English prig who's not used to swimming in lakes, apparently. Even if Eva's uncle did go deaf after getting some weird parasite in his ear from lake-swimming (great story to tell me just before I jump in don't you think?).
Zee telephøne system
Krishna: 'So, Ann, would you like to fly with Shitty Airlines or Agony Airlines?'
Ann: '...I'm sorry, what?!'
Krishna's pronunciation isn't too good...turns out he was referring to 'Sita' and 'Agni' Airlines.
And mäni interesting furry animals
One volunteer was complaining about the cockroaches in her room 'Oh my God, like, its outrageous, they don't even have pest bombs here'...putting aside the question of what ARE pest bombs, I have given up on pest control and decided to give mine names instead, to allow myself some illusion of control and that I actually like my cockroaches and they are rather like pets. Monty and Oscar are doing quite well as far as I know, although I have advised them to stay well away from 'pest bombs'.
Perhaps also, we discuss zee financial crisis
John: 'Er, Louise, why did I just find a loose condom in my money belt?!'
Absolutely nothing to do with me I can assure you. I was merely proximally related to said crime.
And zee amusing Nepali signs
* Piss Laundry.
* Chinese Restaurant Cum Bar.
* Shitaat Communications.
* On some very manky toilets:
Piss: 2 rupees.
Long: 5 rupees.
* On the back of lorries:
Good Luck.
Believe me, you need it here. On our journey to Kathmandu today we nearly became half of a bus custard cream with tourists being the white squidgy filling.
Anyone else want to say 'bustard cream' right now?
Also, we burst a tyre. But that was a surprisingly painless procedure.
I'm wondering if my 'beginner's luck' with travelling has run out...then again, I'm planning on gaining some experienced person luck anytime soon...
Guess I'll go and sack my subtitle staff now.
Thursday, March 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment