Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Nepal!

I have been sick today. Ate some dodgy egg mayo at a restaurant. (Mat: "Hmm, I'm not eating anymore of that, it tastes a bit rancid." Louise: "No it doesn't, it tastes great!" - why tastebuds why?!)

However, this was a (thankfully) short episode and I'm now feeling much better, although still a bit tender...been having a lot of stomach trouble recently, on and off...it's possible I've accidentally drunk some tap water somewhere along the way and acquired some parasitic friends...gonna try another course of drugs and see if this fixes it!

I'm sick of eating in restaurants. I want to cook for myself, know exactly what's going in, how long it's been sitting there, and how clean the hands that made the food were. But this is impossible...there are no hostels (or at least, none with cooking facilities). And the food itself is already contaminated when you buy it...sat out in the sun all day with flies sitting all over it...I was surprised to see 'supermarkets' here in Nepal (nonexistent in India)...but they don't seem to sell food unfortunately. Doesn't guarantee it would be hygienic anyway...I opened some pre-packaged sweets a few weeks ago to find a lovely long black hair nestled within them. De-lish.

Anyway, food rant over, I'm in Kathmandu in Nepal! We have spent the past week doing some training for our volunteer placements. I have learnt quite a lot of Nepali, which is going down well with the locals...also done some sightseeing around Kathmandu. Lots of temples. Kinda sick of temples. But I'm N.I.I! A lot of the volunteers here have come straight from England or Australia to Nepal and they were all like 'woah, it's so dirty here, and the streets are crazy...' hehe. It's practically a walk in the park after India.

I hope India wasn't the peak of the challenges I have yet to face...hehe...I'm sure Fate smiles conspiratorally, fingers in a scheming triangular stance, plotting away...

No comments: